What does one even do with Rutabaga? I love to mash them. These beautiful roots are sweeter than a turnip, and mashing them really brings the flavor to your plate. Pro tip: you can save the prepared rutabaga in the freezer for up to a year! I put them in a ziplock and squeeze all the air out and flatten it so it thaws quickly.
- 2-3 lbs rutabaga (2 of our pints)
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup butter
- Black pepper to taste
- Peel and chop the rutabaga into chunks
- Put in a sauce pan and cover with water
- Add 1 tsp salt
- Bring the water to a rolling boil, cover and simmer for 25-30 mins (until tender)
- Drain them!
- Mash with the butter, the rest of the salt and some pepper