SERVES 6 to 8
- 4 medium bulbs kohlrabi (for us this could be one of our giant ones or 3-4 small ones)
- 3 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1/4 cup dried cherries
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh dill
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Using a sharp knife, remove the long stems and greens from the kohlrabi. Using a peeler, trim away the thick green skin until you reach the light green to white part that is free of tough fibers. Shred on the medium holes of a box grater or in a food processor fitted with the shredder disk.
- Combine the kohlrabi, cabbage, cherries, sunflower seeds, and dill in a large serving bowl. In a small jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the olive oil, maple syrup, lemon zest, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and pepper. Shake to thoroughly combine. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to coat well. Let sit for about 20 minutes before serving.