With all that out of the way, here's the weekly update:
- Construction of the hoophouse is moving along nicely. The purlins and windbraces are installed, and the hipboard is almost complete. After that, we build the end walls, and then wrestle a 100ft x 48ft sheet of plastic over the frame. Should you happen to see some farmers floating through the sky East of Stockbridge, hanging from what appears to be a clear plastic sail this holiday season, it's NOT our unique way of celebrating the season, it means there was an unanticipated gust of wind, and that we require assistance!
- We won some fun new cultivation tools at a farm auction here in Stockbridge this past week, and it has prompted us to plan some "sweeping" upgrades (cultivation pun) to our cultivation strategies for next year. We're currently planning out a home-brewed toolbar and clamps for the Farmall 140
- Helen made some wreaths to decorate the house and the barn to celebrate our first real Christmas at Lake Divide
- Following some remodeling in the house... we have a BEDROOM! Granted, this is not exactly farm news, but I mention it is as I feel that the availability/utilization of a bedroom will enhance our overall capability, farming included.
- CSA pick up forms for STOCKBRIDGE customers will go out tomorrow for a Friday pick up.
A possibility of some surprise greens!?! (Kale, collards, Tokyo Bekana)?
Cabbage: Green, red, pointy, round, crinkly, smooth, ALL DELICIOUS!
Carrots: Orange, White, Yellow, and some sneaky purples
Kohlrabi: Beastly beauties. I have been cubing and roasting them and can't get enough. I don't even peel the little ones!
Potatoes: White, red skinned, and fingerlings!
Radishes: Loose daikon, green meat (sweet daikon), black, watermelon
Winter squash: Long pie, spaghetti, butternut
Turnips- Purple Top, golden globe, and a sweet white ruta-turnip
*We send this email out before harvest, and although we do our very best to make accurate predictions, crops and quantities found at market may vary.
All the best!
Helen, Jim, Exie the dog, and the Lake Divide Farm Crew!
Markets, always rain or shine!
(we begin attending on dates listed above)
Wednesday: Ann Arbor- NOT THIS WEEK!
The Ann Arbor Market is located in the Kerrytown District at 315 Detroit St, Ann Arbor, MI. The market runs from May thru December from 7 am to 3 pm.
Saturday: Ann Arbor and Chelsea
The Ann Arbor Market is located in the Kerrytown District at 315 Detroit St, Ann Arbor, MI. The market runs from May thru December, 7 am to 3 pm and January thru April from 8 am to 3 pm.
The Chelsea Farmers' Market is in the cafeteria of the Washington Street Education Center at 500 Washington Street in Chelsea, It runs November through March from 9 am to 1 pm.