Frosty mornings, a flash of snow, and now heading back up into the 70's! This is going to be a nice warm weekend and possibly our last hurrah before the cold weather settles in. I think the leaves this fall are exception. I mean outrageously, outlandishly beautiful. Take note folks, for it isn't every fall that we get such a show.
We are bustling around on the farm as usual, working to get things settled for the slower season.
A few things on our list:
- Field clean up
- Planting garlic
- Putting equipment to bed
- Preparing for a big transition.
I'm looking towards being a little more wordy in these coming weeks. Until then friends!
In this email:
- Generally important notes
- Farm Members! Accepting sign-ups for next year. Please ask for a sign-up sheet at market. Sign-ups now will roll over to 2023.
- Here is link to our Social Justice page on our website. It is a list of resources to keep active in effecting positive social change.
- Fresh from the Field
- Recipe: Tangy Sautéed Turnips
- Market Details
- Tales from the Farm: Taking a break from writing for now.
Fresh From the Field-
Tatsoi (just a touch! Get it early!)
All Manner of Deliciousness
Cone Cabbage: the most tender and sweet
Savoy Leaf Cabbage
Eggplant- Last week likely!
Ginger (fresh and seed ginger)
Onions: Red and Yellow
Peppers: Green bells and friers
Potatoes: Red and white
Daikon (Purple and Red!)
Purple top turnips
Parsley (Curly and Flat Leaf!)
Recipe: Tangy Sautéed Turnips
From Wiley's Favorites
A simple recipe for tasty turnips!
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 bunch of purple top turnips, diced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- dash of salt (to taste)
- 2-3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- Melt the butter in a sauce pan over medium heat. Add the turnips and seasonings and stir to coat
- Pour in the rice wine vinegar and cover. I can be a little heavy handed with it at times and have never regretted it.
- Allow vinegar to reduce, stirring a few times.
- Add enough water to cover the bottom of the pan but not cover the turnips. Cover and cook until water is gone or turnips are soft. Add more water as needed.
Market Details: We are at market this week
The Ann Arbor Farmers Market, Saturday, Tyler!
Eastern Market, Shed 2, Saturday with Peter! 6 am to 2:30 pm
Royal Oak, Saturday with Jim and Lisa! 7 am to 1 pm
Tales from the Farm:
See you at market!
Helen for Jim, Tyler, Sarah, Wiley, Boomer (bark layer), and Exie (morale officer)