Onward to a week of Mayhem! Planting, weeding, ground preparation, repairs. Keep on swimming, as a wise movie fish once said.
In this email:
- Generally important notes
- Ann Arbor Members! We will be at the Wednesday Ann Arbor Farmers' market for the season. We'll look forward to seeing you there! We hope to start Ann Arbor Saturday soon in June (it's June!) but we are still sorting out the staffing. Thank you for your patience. If any members are feeling worried, please send me an email.
- Farm Members! Accepting sign-ups for the 2023 Season. Please ask for a sign-up sheet at market or print one (here) and bring it!
- Here is link to our Social Justice page on our website. It is a list of resources to keep active in effecting positive social change.
- Fresh from the Field
- Recipe: Sweet Salad Turnips!
- Market Details: Royal Oak and Eastern (shed 2, 276 &274)!
Fresh From the Field-
Chard- baby and delicious
Kale- Red Russian, Siberfrills, curly green and red!
Microgreens: Basil, Cilantro, Cress, Mustard, Radish Mix, Watercress
All Manner of Deliciousness
Apples (Al Mar Orchard, certified organic)
Purple top turnips
Sweet Salad Turnips
Recipe: Sweet Salad Turnips!
Below is a summary of sweet salad turnips recipes. The one I didn't see? Just eating them. They are so dang juicy and delicious. If you haven't had one before, I highly, highly recommend just eating them by themselves, either sliced or like an apple.
From: Driftless Organic
GOOD STUFF TO KNOW
The Salad Turnip is a special veggie. It’s nothing like the classic turnip, actually. It’s soft enough, even when raw, to cut with a butter knife. It is sweet and even a little fruity, but also has a bit of a bite like the classic turnip. And the greens are great to eat, too!
Remove the tops and store separately in the refrigerator. They last at least a week refrigerated.
Grilled Kale, Salad Turnips & Scallions
Radish and Turnip Salad w/Oregano Vinaigrette
Roasted Radishes and Turnips with Greens
Roasted Salad Turnips w/Mint & Israeli Couscous
Salad Turnip Salad
Salt Pickled Turnips & Gold Beets
Southwest Winter Slaw
Super-Easy Greens Stirfry
Wine Braised Leeks & Salad Turnips
COOKING & EATING TIPS
One can eat salad turnips raw or cooked. They are excellent in a hearty salad. Slice and saute them in butter or sunflower oil with some crushed garlic for a quick and yummy side dish.
Market Details: We are at market this week
The Ann Arbor Farmers Market- Wednesdays from 7 am to 3 pm. We are still sorting staff and such for Saturdays. Members please contact me if concerned.
Eastern Market, Shed 2, stalls 276 and 274 (Our regular, outside spot at the center of the shed), Saturday with Helen, Claudia, and Aaron! 6 am to 2:30 pm
Royal Oak, Saturday with Amalie! 7 am to 1 pm