We're back one week early and we are excited about it! Although we don't have the full spread of shoots and micros, we have a lot of nutrient and flavor dense foods on our table. And next week? Well, next week we'll be bringing our first round of many new crops. A particularly exciting and delicious experiment are the popcorn shoots. They are allegedly so sweet and crunchy, some chefs use them in desserts! Hopefully they will be ready for next Saturday.
The 2023 season is taking shape! Tyler and I have took sometime before our winter break to layout our hopes and dream on paper. We have put a lot of thought into where we can focus to make the greatest strides and I feel we've come up with a pretty bold and reasonable plan. I have some trepidation about hiring and the availability of people interested and able to work on a farm but even that towering concern can't cast its shadow net over my pivot. We are ready with various pocket plans that all lead to nutritious, organic vegetables on your table.
Stick with us in any of these ways!
- Become a farm member through our CSA!
- Here is a link to information about it.
- Here is a link to the sign up sheet
- Come buy our vegetables at market! Make going to the farmers' market part of your weekly routine. We love to see you and we love our vegetables being part of your meals.
- Invite your friends to come to market with you or introduce them to our vegetables!
- Share our hiring ad! If you know someone that is a farmer or is considering farming, send them our way!
- Here is a link to our hiring page.
In this email:
- Winter market schedule:
- As of now we are planning on attending Eastern and Royal Oak every week. If anything changes, we will note it here.
- Generally important notes
- We are inside at Eastern Market, in Shed 3, stalls 367 and 369. You can find us on the left if you enter Shed 3 from Russel st.
- Farm Members! Accepting sign-ups for the 2023 Season. Please ask for a sign-up sheet at market or print one (here) and bring it!
- Here is link to our Social Justice page on our website. It is a list of resources to keep active in effecting positive social change.
- Fresh from the Field
- Recipe: Kohlrabi!
- Market Details: Royal Oak and Eastern (shed 3, 367 and 369)!
Fresh From the Field-
Pea shoots (limited)
All Manner of Deliciousness
Apples (certified organic from Country Mill, only at Eastern)
Cabbage: Cone Cabbage, Savoy Leaf Cabbage, Classic, and Red
Garlic (certified organic from Cinzori!)
Onions: Red and Yellow
Potatoes: Red and white
Daikon (Purple and White)
Purple top turnips
Wintersquash (Try that Autumn Frost, folks!)- Last week
Parsley (Curly and Flat Leaf!)
Many microgreens including: Cilantro, Basil, Arugula, Radsh, Broccoli, Cress, and Mustard!
From Facts of Life
Kohlrabi is crispy and so, so flavorful. This time of year it is so very sweet. There are many ways to cook it and and many recipes to use it in but the way I fell in love with it was in its raw form: Peeled and munched.
I like to cut it in half lengthwise, cut off the small tough end where the stem was, peel it, then slice it into thin halfmoons. From there, you can add a little salt, dip it in your favorite dip (cream cheese, brie, ranch, black beans, hummus, etc), or eat it just as it is.
It is a beautiful addition to a charcuterie board (especially along with our GORGEOUS purple daikon) and it is a well loved snack for all ages.
Don't hold back. Get kohlrabied tomorrow.
Market Details: We are at market this week
The Ann Arbor Farmers Market- Back in May
Eastern Market, Shed 3, stalls 367 and 369 (on the right when you enter shed 3 Russel St.),
Saturday with Helen! 6 am to 2:30 pm
Royal Oak, Saturday with Tyler! 7 am to 1 pm