I am grateful for the modern weather forecasts that allowed us to prepare for this wind event. Tuesday we battened down the hatches, bracing old barn doors shut, lashing down the roll up sides of our hoop house, tying down various tarps, and collecting piles. I scheduled Wednesday to work on our organic application, with an early bird due date of March 13th, and our taxes, with their impending due date. I figured some nice indoor activities to keep me out of the wind. Indoors was not to be for us though.
What an amazing reminder of the power of the nature's systems. On occasion I was almost knocked from my feet. I could lean into the wind as though it would support me. It was so loud I felt like I was at sea. My hair felt like strands of metal whenever the wind lashed them against my face.. I encouraged every bird I saw to stay on the ground. You can see the way the plastic on the greenhouse undulated with the wind from the pictures below, a problem further exacerbated by the loss of electricity, depowering our inflation fan. We stepped inside periodically to give our ears and faces a rest.
- It is that time of year where we obsessively look at the weather forecast. Much different than the other times of year, haha yea right. But this time of year, it is special. We are watching for our opportunity to "get into the field" to prep the ground for the first time of the season. And this year, it will be our first time ever working this ground. The end of March is looking pretty good and thank goodness for that because we are supposed to be planting by the first week of April!
- Jim replaced the muffler on our Farmall 140! And I got to drive it down our road!
- We have a Giant Ant Hill! I may have mentioned this before but I am really excited to discover what type of ants they are and watch their activity levels change throughout the year. I will be certain to update you.
- CSA sign-ups in full effect! We offer a declining balance model where you pick out what you want at market and we take it out of your account. More information on our CSA here!
- We are Hiring Interns! Check out this ad for more information.
Fresh from the hoop!
Markets this week, always rain or shine!
Dexter Winterplace Farmers' Market
Inside the Dexter Senior Center
7720 Ann Arbor St, Dexter, Michigan 48130
9 am to 1 pm