Short one, long in the caption!
We're looking for farmers' market help either meeting to start the day on the farm in Stockbridge or at Eastern Market. If this is you or someone you know, reach out!
We would also love a market volunteer/veggie trade or two! If you are a regular customer and want to hang around the market stand chatting about vegetables and cooking, while keeping the stand looking fresh, this could be you!
On the farm we are making moves for spring. We secured a piece of equipment that we are really hoping with improve our weed control approach. Clare had her first day on Thursday and it was great. Lots and lots of plants were seeded. The cold frame build is moving forward!. It's all happening.
See Tyler at Royal Oak or Peter a Eastern this week. I'll miss you and see you next Saturday on April Fools day.
Ways to support us through these lean times?
- Become a farm member through our CSA!
- Come buy our vegetables at market! Make going to the farmers' market part of your weekly routine. We love to see you and we love our vegetables being part of your meals.
- Invite your friends to come to market with you or introduce them to our vegetables!
- Share our hiring ad! If you know someone that is a farmer or is considering farming, send them our way!
- Here is a link to our hiring page.
In this email:
- Winter market schedule:
- As of now we are planning on attending Eastern and Royal Oak every week. If anything changes, we will note it here.
- Generally important notes
- We are inside at Eastern Market, in Shed 3, stalls 367 and 369. You can find us on the left if you enter Shed 3 from Russell st.
- Farm Members! Accepting sign-ups for the 2023 Season. Please ask for a sign-up sheet at market or print one (here) and bring it!
- Here is link to our Social Justice page on our website. It is a list of resources to keep active in effecting positive social change.
- Fresh from the Field
- Recipe: SESAME ROASTED TURNIPS & BARLEY
- Market Details: Royal Oak and Eastern (shed 3, 367 and 369)!
Fresh From the Field-
Microgreens: Arugula, Broccoli, Cilantro, Mustard, Radish Mix, Watercress
All Manner of Deliciousness
Apples (Al Mar Orchard, certified organic, at Eastern and Royal Oak)
Cabbage (certified organic from Stutzman Family Farm)
Onions: Yellow (certified organic from Cinzori!)
Daikon (Purple and Red from Tantre- grown with organic methods, and White from Cinzori- Certified Organic)
Watermelon radishes (certified organic from Cinzori!)
Purple top turnips
Recipe: SESAME ROASTED TURNIPS & BARLEY
From Naturally Ella
This dish is a great lunch or an easy dinner to throw together. Serve over quinoa for an extra added bit of protein or include a handful of white beans. Also, if you grab a bunch of turnips that have greens still attached- wilt them in a bit of heated olive oil and add to the dish before serving!
- 1 large turnip
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoons honey
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons minced cilantro
- 2 cups cooked barley
- Preheat oven to 375˚. Cut turnips into ¼" cubes and place in a bowl. Add minced garlic, olive oil, sesame seeds, honey, and sea salt: toss until well combined. Spread turnips out into a single layer in a roasting pan and bake for 25-30 minutes until caramelizing and turnips are tender.
- Remove turnips from oven and add the soy sauce and cilantro to the roasting pan.
- Serve turnips over cooked barley.
Market Details: We are at market this week
The Ann Arbor Farmers Market- Back in May
Eastern Market, Shed 3, stalls 367 and 369 (on the LEFT when you enter shed 3 Russell St.), Saturday with Peter! 6 am to 2:30 pm
Royal Oak, Saturday with Tyler and Lisa! 7 am to 1 pm