Last week went well, despite the snow. I met some new people, sold some vegetables, and ate some pastries. That is a market success in my book. This week, I am staying farmside, but you can find Peter at Eastern and Tyler and Lisa at Royal Oak.
I will leave these lean times support suggestions here...
Ways to support us through these lean times?
- Become a farm member through our CSA!
- Here is a link to information about it.
- Here is a link to the sign up sheet
- You balance will stay on the books until the end of the 2023 season.
- Come buy our vegetables at market! Make going to the farmers' market part of your weekly routine. We love to see you and we love our vegetables being part of your meals.
- Invite your friends to come to market with you or introduce them to our vegetables!
- Share our hiring ad! If you know someone that is a farmer or is considering farming, send them our way!
- Here is a link to our hiring page.
In this email:
- Winter market schedule:
- As of now we are planning on attending Eastern and Royal Oak every week. If anything changes, we will note it here.
- Generally important notes
- We are inside at Eastern Market, in Shed 3, stalls 367 and 369. You can find us on the left if you enter Shed 3 from Russell st.
- Farm Members! Accepting sign-ups for the 2023 Season. Please ask for a sign-up sheet at market or print one (here) and bring it!
- Here is link to our Social Justice page on our website. It is a list of resources to keep active in effecting positive social change.
- Fresh from the Field
- Recipe: Quick and Easy Roasted Cabbage
- Market Details: Royal Oak and Eastern (shed 3, 367 and 369)!
Microgreens: Arugula, Broccoli, Mustard, Radish Mix, Watercress
All Manner of Deliciousness
Apples (Al Mar Orchard, certified organic, at Eastern and Royal Oak)
Beets! (certified organic from Stutzman Family Farm)
Cabbage (certified organic from Stutzman Family Farm)
Carrots (certified organic from Second Spring Farm)
Garlic (certified organic from Cinzori!)
Napa Cabbage- baby and delectable
Onions: Yellow and Red (certified organic from Cinzori!)
Potatoes: Red and white
Daikon (Purple, Red (grown with organic methods by Tantre) and White)
Watermelon radishes (certified organic from Cinzori!)
Purple top turnips
Recipe: Quick and Easy Roasted Cabbage
From Inspired Taste
This easy, healthy recipe for roasted cabbage is delicious. As the cabbage roasts in the oven, it browns, turns tender, and becomes sweet. Cabbage may sound boring, but this is one of our favorite side dishes. White cabbage is our favorite for this recipe, but other cabbage varieties will work (roast times may vary).
Our recipe below keeps things simple and roasts the cabbage with oil, salt, and pepper. But, of course, you can always add spices like seasoning blends or fresh herbs.
Serves 4 to 6
- 1 medium head cabbage, about 1 ½ pounds
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil (can use olive oil or oil of choice)
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Heat the oven to 425° Fahrenheit. Prepare a baking sheet — we roast directly on the baking sheet, but for easy clean-up, put down a silicone baking mat or a sheet of parchment paper.
- Prepare the cabbage by cutting it into four wedges and removing the core. Next, slice the wedges into strips about 1/2 inch thick.
- Add the cabbage to the baking sheet and toss with the oil, salt, and pepper. Spread into one layer.
- Roast the cabbage without moving it until it starts browning, about 15 minutes. When you notice the browning, stir the cabbage, spread it back into an even layer, and roast for 5 to 10 more minutes. We enjoy our cabbage deeply browned, so we tend to keep the cabbage in the oven a bit longer.
- Toss with lemon juice, and serve.
- Nutrition facts: The nutrition facts provided below are estimates. We have used the USDA database to calculate approximate values.
AUTHOR: Adam and Joanne Gallagher
Market Details: We are at market this week
The Ann Arbor Farmers Market- Back in May
Eastern Market, Shed 3, stalls 367 and 369 (on the LEFT when you enter shed 3 Russell St.), Saturday with Peter! 6 am to 2:30 pm
Royal Oak, Saturday with Tyler and Lisa! 7 am to 1 pm